Monday, December 12, 2011

Upcoming changes to I-Share Universal Borrowing

We would like to inform you of some upcoming changes to the I-Share Universal Borrowing service that will be taking effect after the New Year.


Last summer, the Consortia of Academic and Research Libraries of Illinois (CARLI) implemented changes to Universal Borrowing (UB) through the I-Share Catalog to standardize the I-Share borrowing experience for patrons at all I-Share libraries. The third phase of these changes will take effect on Thursday, January 5, 2012. On that date, UB block thresholds will be activated.

When a patron reaches or exceeds any of the thresholds listed below, they will be unable to request, discharge, or renew any I-Share items until the blocking condition is resolved. UB thresholds that will cause a patron to be blocked are:

• 25 UB items overdue

• 1 UB item recalled and overdue

• 3 UB items lost

• 10 claims returned on UB items

• 10 UB items self-shelved (returned to library shelf without discharge)

• $200 total owed in UB fines or fees

If any of these conditions are met, the I-Share account will be blocked at the consortial level. The patron will have to clear their account with the library that lent the item. The thresholds count only a patron's combined transactions across all other I-Share libraries. Any local circulation transactions in the patron's home library are not counted against the UB thresholds.

If you have any questions, please contact a library staff member at x2190.

No comments:

Post a Comment