Wednesday, October 16, 2013

National Archives Month: Homecoming Displays with Brittany Zenge '14

History Major, Brittany Zenge, ’14, has been spending the semester working on an independent study in Museum Studies (HIST 390).  Working with Archivist, Lynn Daw, she is examining the history of museum collecting, preservation, exhibition, and interpretation.  Her first love of these museum tasks is exhibits and displays, so what better mid-term assignment than creating just that for last weekend’s 2013 Homecoming events! 

Brittany interprets her experience in the following post:

Library Cases
"When Lynn asked me to design the library cases for Homecoming, I was ecstatic. I immediately wanted to get my hands on all of the artifacts in the archives. To decide on which artifacts to put in the case, I firstly had to decide what theme I wanted to go with. Seeing as it was Homecoming, there was a ready made title to bring to life, “Roll Out The Red.” From there I decided to make the cases resemble the red carpet like you see in Hollywood. This helped with picking out specific artifacts, like the roll of film and older camera.

My main goal was to keep to the Homecoming feel, therefore I kept pieces like the athletic jacket, football jersey, pipe band uniform and the yearbooks to signify those alums coming back to celebrate their time at Monmouth College.  Lastly, I placed Homecoming pins and Monmouth College banners inside each case to help represent school pride during this exciting weekend.

At MC, students can investigate the inter-related professions of Library Science, Archive Management, and Museum Studies, through a variety of courses and independent studies, no matter what major field of study they are pursuing.   Stop by the library for more information!"

1 comment: